Home Insurance > Contents Insurance > Drone Insurance

Not long ago, drones were largely the stuff of science fiction, something you might expect to find deep within a military installation rather than buzzing around your next-door neighbour’s garden. But, in a move that mirrors what happened to the gold old “brick” mobile phones of the early 90s, drones got lighter, cheaper and easier to handle.

As of August 2018, the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) recorded 4,530 operators with permission for commercial drone usage, a drastic increase compared to just 110 in 2013, and 1,769 in 2016. Drones became mainstream and unlocked a new world of possibilities for enthusiasts great and small. And opened up a whole new can of worms for insurers. It’s a sign of our tech-hungry, tech-driven times.

Whether drones play a key role in your work or represent your favourite weekend hobby, you’ve probably forked out quite a lot for your beloved gadget. Professional video drones can range from a couple hundred to a couple thousand pounds, with speedier racing models coming in at slightly cheaper. So, with an investment like this, the concept of drone insurance has probably crossed your mind.

In this guide we’ll cover everything you need to know about protecting your drone, to make choosing drone insurance a walk in the park.

What type of insurance will cover my drone?

When thinking about insuring your belonging, your first thought probably goes to contents insurance. This type of insurance covers all the possessions (in your home) in cases of theft, loss or damage, and natural disasters such a fires or floods. Whilst other modern gadgets, such as tablets and laptops, are often included in contents insurance policies, the jury is still out when it comes to covering drones. Some policies will cover them as standard whilst others won’t, meaning it’s important to contact your insurance company and see what they say.

It’s also important to look at the ‘single item limit’ within your policy, which limits the amount you can claim on a single possession. Despite varying in value, if your drone is particularly expensive, the single item limit will come up short compared to its cost. This means if anything was to happen, you wouldn’t receive adequate compensation for your drone when claiming.

For this reason, a lot of enthusiasts will take out specialist drone insurance, which is becoming more and more frequent with insurance companies. These quotes can vary, so, it’s best to shop around to find the best deal.

Specialist Drone Cover

Whether using your drone for personal or commercial use, adequate cover is a must. However, the specific type of insurance needed for your drone can depend on its use.

If drones are your hobby and you’re interested in flying them in public places, then it’s best that you take out public liability insurance. This will offer you financial protection if your drone causes damage to a third party’s property or person, whilst you’re taking it out for a spin. There are plenty of companies who offer this type of insurance, but we think the British Model Flying Association is a good option to start, check them out at: https://bmfa.org/

However, if you use drones for commercial purposes, the level of cover will need to be amped up. Not only is insurance required in order to procure a commercial drone pilot license, but the financial repercussions of accidents can be far greater. Many specialist drone companies will offer a range of policies, depending on what you use your drone for and the needs you have. These include:

‘Drone Only’ Insurance, which covers your drone in cases of accidental damage, theft or disappearance.

‘Liability Only’ Insurance, which covers against damages to third parties cause by your drone.

‘Noise Cover’, which offers protection against noise complaints made by third parties regarding your drone.

‘Trespassers Cost’, which covers against damage to crops or private property that may occur when retrieving your drone after a crash.

‘Worldwide Cover’, which offers you protection when flying your drone overseas.

Insuring your drone with buzzvault

We recognised that insurance doesn’t always work as it should, which is why we built buzzvault: hyper-personalised home and contents insurance based on a digital inventory of what you own and its value. So what does this mean for you, the customer?

  1. Our insurance is based on an up-to-date record of what you own and its value, so you always have the right level of cover in place.
  2. You can add new items to your policy as and when you acquire them, so your cover stays up to date.
  3. If an item is listed in your buzzvault, then it’s covered. End of story. Simply open our app and claim back at the touch of a button.

If you want to learn more about what we offer, then head over to https://gobuzzvault.com. Or jump straight in and get a super-rapid personalised quote now.